Saturday, January 17, 2009

Andrew Wyeth

I am having a day in awe of Andrew Wyeth. He lead such an incredible life- painting since he was 14 (please- don't fact check me. I think I read that somewhere.) Painted beautiful, haunting, glowing images until he died in his sleep in his 90s. A full life of painting and seeing.

While I've always appreciated Wyeth, I may have taken him for granted. I am not the most knowledgeable about his career. I'm in Pennsylvania and the state believes he was our personal artist, and his landscapes, when not of Maine, are very familiar. People here speak of him as if they know him. The paper this morning talked to a waitress at the diner he ate at once a week.

I love the stories that Wyeth's neighbors in Chadds Ford would lead tourists astray when they came hoping to find his studio. I've heard, and this could be artist urban legend, that he had lead tourist astray himself, replying when asked "Andrew Wyeth? Never heard of him"

No comments: