Wednesday, June 17, 2009

And the living is easy

Well, not really, but I think I have embraced our summertime lack of schedule. I can get used to this not bolting out of bed and out the door stuff. I will get used to it and have transition melt down again when its time to switch back to our scheduled life- but I'll try to not dwell on that.

Today is the first day in a while that it hasn't rained (so far, and I don't think its supposed to) but H woke up with a fever. We were supposed to meet some friends at the arboretum, they cancelled due to illness- we were going to go anyway...but. I told H yesterday that if it didn't rain we could go- she just remembered and got excited to go from her subdued state on the couch. I told her we should take it easy today since she's not feeling well "I DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT EASY! WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? OOOOoooooooHHHHH!" Might be a long day. Might be a good day for a craft.

I have been abstaining from craft lately, under the misguided theory that anything crafty/creative would take from my "real" work. I have been stifling the dresses I want to make, the blankets I want to knit, the tiles I want to learn to fire, the jewelry I want to make, the house I want to paint, thinking that by oppressing my creativity, I'd just HAVE to get up to the studio and print. Printing is hard right now, it feels like work, like real work. Usually I am clamoring to get into the studio and will jump hurdles to get in there. Now I avert my eyes as I walk past the door to my studio. I'm having trouble differentiating between outlet and avoidance. Thus the craft cut off. But then I find myself nauseous with envy at all the people I know creating beautiful things. Yesterday, after I caught myself mass producing beads out of Sculpy, I decided to release the hounds of creativity. I went to a stitch and bitch a friend of mine started, as of yesterday, and actually did equal parts stitching and bitching- started sewing a felted cashmere rabbit I've been thinking about for some time. I am hoping the rivers of creativity will flow into an ocean which will carry me up to the studio willingly. Soon. I feel it.

In the meantime, the girls and I will craft like theres no tomorrow. And try to take it easy.

1 comment:

Left of Ordinary said...

Craft away, my dear. Craft away. :)