Wednesday, December 31, 2008

And we're back

8:20 on new years eve, and I'm ready for bed just about. Its become a new years thing for us to have a dinner of appetizers on fancy plates with candles. It used to be fondue, but that just got too stressful, what with the open flame and hot molten cheese. Now we have our cheese in solid form and our flames out of reach. This new years we had some friends over which was just so nice. Far too often I embark on creating this bizzaro spread that is too much for us to eat, and I want it to look nice even though I am the only one in this house that cares (H is a quick study, however, I think next year she will be right there with my crazy new year invite only exclusive appetizer party. Watch out, Diddy) But the food has been eaten, left overs put away- friends left and girls in bed. I'm done. Tomorrow we'll go to my mothers house for her new traditional new years day dinner of hoppin' John. She says its good luck to eat black eyes peas on new years day, and who am I to disagree?

Picked up the girls from my moms house around noon- S was making high pitched guinea pig shrieks she was so happy to see me, which was very nice, if strange. H, so quickly to suggest I not let the door hit me in the ass on the way out yesterday, buried her head in me and said 'I just want to go home." Ha! So there universe. And absence does make the heart SO fonder. We pretty much picked up where we left off- we stopped at the grocery store on the way home to get more stuff for our new years party, and this was before we knew anyone would be coming. I wanted to get shrimp, and H said "and celery! We need celery!" I am not a big fan of the celery, but I'm all about requesting a vegetable. Once in the store, S grabbed a bag of grapes upside down and they rolled all over the produce department. 3 very nice men helped us collect the grapes. One said to H, 'kinda like an easter egg hunt' Odd thing to say, right? I liked it though. Frazzled from the grape escapade, I asked H to just grab some celery. At the check out I see she got organic celery that was brown. And 4 dollars. But she did eat a lot of it. And I'm sure as hell not going to.

1 comment:

Left of Ordinary said...

Happy New Year! Brown celery and all. oxox