Monday, December 8, 2008

I dressed myself today

This morning, H came down to breakfast her usual disheveled just woken up self. She got a sly look on her face, and said "I have to go upstairs for a couple bit. Don't come up." I think, shit. This means shes going to get dressed by herself, and I know the clothes I deem suitable for school are in the bottom of a laundry basket in my room. I go upstairs under the guise of changing S's diaper, and am met with huffing, puffing, arms tightly folded and an irritated grumpy face. "Mom! You RUINED your surprise! Go Down STAIRS!!!" I casually put out the red snowman shirt on her bed and walk away. She comes down PROUD as can be in the red snowman shirt, and pale pink pants with spring time flowers on them. NOW. Let me tell you how I feel about this particular combination of pink and red. I hate it. I beyond hate it. Its nails on the chalkboard for me- my friends in high school knew this, most people I know knows this about me. That's how insane I am to go around talking about how much I hate the combo of bright red and pale pink. I grit my teeth and tell her she looks beautiful. But oh man is it hard. She has the trademark mismatched socks (socks mismatched since 2005) "... today's sock colors ARE.... "she announced while riffling through her sock drawer"... PURPLE AND TURQUOISE!") Then she found a pink ribbon and asked me to braid it into her hair. A friend of mine told me about friends of hers, and I wish I could give credit where credit is due, who made up buttons for their kids that say "I dressed myself today" I need to go about getting some of those.

1 comment:

Left of Ordinary said...

Oh, I can JUST picture that outfit. Whoa. hahahaha.